A study by George Mason University ranked Utah third in the nation for freedom from regulation ("Utah ranked 20th in overall freedom," June 9), but the study also urged Utah to 'liberalize drug laws and legalize casino gambling, slot machines, and sports betting.' Drugs, alcohol, and gambling do not give people freedom. Addiction to drugs, alcohol and gambling take away a person's ability to be free.
It would be interesting to see how many people in states where there is freedom to get drugs and alcohol easily, and for people to gamble are addicted to those behaviors and have actually lost their freedom compared to the freedom we enjoy in Utah by having fewer people with those addictions.
Freedom means different things to different people. Freedom from addiction is real freedom, versus freedom from laws that protect the home, family and community.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 72
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 56
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 29
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 26
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22