A study by George Mason University ranked Utah third in the nation for freedom from regulation ("Utah ranked 20th in overall freedom," June 9), but the study also urged Utah to 'liberalize drug laws and legalize casino gambling, slot machines, and sports betting.' Drugs, alcohol, and gambling do not give people freedom. Addiction to drugs, alcohol and gambling take away a person's ability to be free.
It would be interesting to see how many people in states where there is freedom to get drugs and alcohol easily, and for people to gamble are addicted to those behaviors and have actually lost their freedom compared to the freedom we enjoy in Utah by having fewer people with those addictions.
Freedom means different things to different people. Freedom from addiction is real freedom, versus freedom from laws that protect the home, family and community.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13