The biggest challenge of motherhood has been the lack of sleep. Kastor used to get 10 hours a night, then nap for two more during the day. The most she's gotten in a day since Piper was born is seven hours.
"She slept like a rock star last night," a proud and relieved Kastor said Thursday of her daughter's first night in New York.
That's appropriate considering the origin of her middle name. Kastor liked how Piper Bloom sounded cheerful, though Andrew didn't divulge until after the birth certificate was signed that it was inspired by the Nirvana song "In Bloom."
They actually considered Piper Storm for a while because every time they went to the hospital before she was born, there were whiteout conditions. The Kastors still have 12 feet of snow in their front yard in Mammoth Lakes, Calif.
Doctor weren't sure why Kastor suffered from the side stitches — dehydration, possibly.
"Piper was not a fan of exercise," Kastor said with a laugh.
By the end of the pregnancy, the 6-pound, 5-ounce baby in her runner's short torso was causing serious lower back pain. Kastor's abdominal muscles are still numb after she had a cesarean section. She's breast-feeding and jokes about the "shift of gravity in my running gait."
Kastor, who won the 2005 Chicago Marathon and 2006 London Marathon, just wants to replace the memory of her last race before her pregnancy. She finished 18th in London in 2010 and is adamant she can still do much, much better.
"When you have these passionate goals in your mind, it's hard to imagine letting them go unaccomplished," Kastor said. "I would love to win the New York Marathon, the Boston Marathon and to get a gold medal in the Olympic Games. That's still a tall order for someone at 38 years old. But I'm going to keep putting myself in the position to chase down goals."
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 141
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 32
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 18
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16