The biggest challenge of motherhood has been the lack of sleep. Kastor used to get 10 hours a night, then nap for two more during the day. The most she's gotten in a day since Piper was born is seven hours.
"She slept like a rock star last night," a proud and relieved Kastor said Thursday of her daughter's first night in New York.
That's appropriate considering the origin of her middle name. Kastor liked how Piper Bloom sounded cheerful, though Andrew didn't divulge until after the birth certificate was signed that it was inspired by the Nirvana song "In Bloom."
They actually considered Piper Storm for a while because every time they went to the hospital before she was born, there were whiteout conditions. The Kastors still have 12 feet of snow in their front yard in Mammoth Lakes, Calif.
Doctor weren't sure why Kastor suffered from the side stitches — dehydration, possibly.
"Piper was not a fan of exercise," Kastor said with a laugh.
By the end of the pregnancy, the 6-pound, 5-ounce baby in her runner's short torso was causing serious lower back pain. Kastor's abdominal muscles are still numb after she had a cesarean section. She's breast-feeding and jokes about the "shift of gravity in my running gait."
Kastor, who won the 2005 Chicago Marathon and 2006 London Marathon, just wants to replace the memory of her last race before her pregnancy. She finished 18th in London in 2010 and is adamant she can still do much, much better.
"When you have these passionate goals in your mind, it's hard to imagine letting them go unaccomplished," Kastor said. "I would love to win the New York Marathon, the Boston Marathon and to get a gold medal in the Olympic Games. That's still a tall order for someone at 38 years old. But I'm going to keep putting myself in the position to chase down goals."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20