TRACK: Weber State senior Brett Hales advanced to the finals of the men's steeplechase at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Hales finished seventh overall in Wednesday's semifinals and will not compete in the finals of the event Friday in Des Moines, Iowa.
The Ogden native posted a time of 8:46.52 to finish seventh overall in the event of 24 runners. The top 14 runners advanced to the finals. He finished third in his heat.
"Brett ran a good race and did what he needed to do tonight," said WSU distance coach Paul Pilkington. "Now he will prepare to have his best race on Friday."
He will run in the steeplechase finals Friday at 6:30 p.m. Mountain time in Des Moines. The top eight finishers will earn First Team All-American honors with the second eight earning Second Team-All-American honors.
This is the second-straight year Hales will compete at the NCAA Championships.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22