TRACK: Weber State senior Brett Hales advanced to the finals of the men's steeplechase at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Hales finished seventh overall in Wednesday's semifinals and will not compete in the finals of the event Friday in Des Moines, Iowa.
The Ogden native posted a time of 8:46.52 to finish seventh overall in the event of 24 runners. The top 14 runners advanced to the finals. He finished third in his heat.
"Brett ran a good race and did what he needed to do tonight," said WSU distance coach Paul Pilkington. "Now he will prepare to have his best race on Friday."
He will run in the steeplechase finals Friday at 6:30 p.m. Mountain time in Des Moines. The top eight finishers will earn First Team All-American honors with the second eight earning Second Team-All-American honors.
This is the second-straight year Hales will compete at the NCAA Championships.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28