TRACK: Weber State senior Brett Hales advanced to the finals of the men's steeplechase at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Hales finished seventh overall in Wednesday's semifinals and will not compete in the finals of the event Friday in Des Moines, Iowa.
The Ogden native posted a time of 8:46.52 to finish seventh overall in the event of 24 runners. The top 14 runners advanced to the finals. He finished third in his heat.
"Brett ran a good race and did what he needed to do tonight," said WSU distance coach Paul Pilkington. "Now he will prepare to have his best race on Friday."
He will run in the steeplechase finals Friday at 6:30 p.m. Mountain time in Des Moines. The top eight finishers will earn First Team All-American honors with the second eight earning Second Team-All-American honors.
This is the second-straight year Hales will compete at the NCAA Championships.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 35
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20