Weiner draws no defense from Democrats
Reid: 'can't defend' Weiner
"Does ... Democrat Senate candidate Joe Donnelly, (D-IN) plan to return the $5,000 he took from his friend Weiner in order to fund his political campaigns?" asked the National Republican Senatorial Committee. There was no immediate reply from Donnelly, a second-term House member who recently announced he would run for the Senate in 2012.
In the House, Democratic Rep. Betty Sutton of Ohio said through an aide she would donate to charity a $1,000 contribution she received from Weiner last year.
Demanding the return of cash from troubled donors has become a standard political tactic in recent years, practiced by both parties.
But the other facts in Weiner's case were anything but routine.
Instead, they reflected the growing impact of social media and little-known websites on the political fortunes of the nation's most powerful elected officials, in this case, a man with ambitions of becoming mayor of New York City.
A poll released Tuesday found that about half of New York City voters think Weiner should hang onto his congressional seat. But most say they want him to stay out of the race to succeed Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2013.
The Marist Poll found 51 percent said Weiner should remain in Congress, while 30 percent said he should step down, and 18 percent said they weren't sure. But 56 percent said Weiner should not run for mayor, while 25 percent said he should. Nineteen percent said they were unsure.
The survey of 379 registered voters was conducted Monday and had a sampling error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.
Despite fielding numerous questions on Monday, some of them intensely personal about his marriage, Weiner left gaps at his news conference.
He said he could not guarantee that none of the women with whom he exchanged salacious pictures or messages was underage.
Asked whether he had phone sex, he sidestepped. "I was never in the same room as them, I never — had any physical relationship whatever," he said.
Asked whether he could guarantee that there was no X-rated photo in existence of himself, he replied, "No, I cannot."
That issue was first broached by Breitbart, who showed up at Weiner's news conference on Monday before the congressman did.
In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Breitbart said he had not yet released a sexually explicit photo taken of the congressman unclothed.
He said he would consider releasing the picture if he concludes that Weiner's staff tries to disparage any of the women with whom the congressman flirted online.
"Under the circumstances that those women that he's had these consensual relationships, that their personal information would start to be leaked from his team, I would strongly consider releasing the photo if he wants to make this an attack on these innocent women," he said.
At his news conference, Weiner apologized to the women and to all he misled with his earlier denials, but most often to his wife, Huma Abedin, who was not present.
Abedin, deputy chief of staff to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, is well-known in her own right in Democratic circles. Some party officials said that was a factor in the general unwillingness to call for Weiner's resignation.
Abedin, who has had no comment on her husband's controversy, was on a flight late Tuesday with Clinton to the Middle East and Africa.
Under House rules, party leaders cannot force a lawmaker to quit, although they can press for a resignation and sometimes do.
Republicans successfully urged Indiana Rep. Mark Souder to take that course last year after he admitted to an extra-marital affair with a member of his staff. They did so again in February, with Rep. Chris Lee of New York, who quit quickly after shirtless photos he sent to a woman he had met on Craigslist were published online.
By contrast, Pelosi issued a call shortly after Weiner's news conference for the House ethics committee to investigate his case to make sure no House rules were broken.
The committee had no comment, and with the House not scheduled to meet for nearly a week, it was unclear when it might begin work on the case.
Associated Press writers Andrew Miga in Washington, Le Phuong in Seattle, Travis Loller in Nashville, Tenn., Chris Hawley in New York, Ramit Plushnick-Masti in Houston, Oskar Garcia in Las Vegas and researcher Barbara Sambriski contributed to this report.
- Feds call for judge to disband police in...
- Malia Obama to enter Harvard in 2017 after...
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for...
- Did woman sway boy to kill his dad? Court...
- Confident Trump seeks knockout of Cruz in...
- Monkey bars alert: Playground concussions are...
- South Africa: Rescued lions explore new home...
- Man abandoned 30 years ago tries to find his...
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 56
- ... 38
- Violence follows California Trump... 35
- Kasich calls for balance on gay rights,... 23
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 22
- Rowdy Trump protests portend explosive... 19
- Biden cites 'serious' progress toward... 12
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 12