Of course, these cronies stole the show, restoring their standup comedy routine made famous on TV commercials. McBride told Edwards BYU's always denying recruiting players on missions but the last guy they talk to coming and going is their "LDS" stake president. Edwards told McBride if he'd discovered the forward pass in his days at Utah, he'd still be coaching on the hill.
Everyone yucked it up, even Whittingham and Mendenhall, who graciously stepped aside and let the two elder gentlemen have at each other. It was good fun all around.
The tournament itself, which featured a trip to Pinehurst, N.C., for the winning team, featured strict requirements for handicaps of players, including only one-single digit handicap player in each group. They were even accompanied on the course by an observer, to prevent cheating.
The winning team was comprised of Dan Hansgen, John Hansgen, Jed Hansgen and Steve Hansgen. That team fired an impressive 17-under 55.
Interesting enough, Edwards' team did meet the qualifications with proper handicaps and, although it made bogey on the par-3 No. 10, ended up in second place with a 14-under par 58. Joining Edwards on the team were Derek Roney, Rick Johnson and Richard Watson.
Whittingham didn't meet with reporters afterwards. Walker reported the Utes are deep in offseason conditioning and "everyone is there; it is going as well as any time I've been at Utah. We are excited and looking forward to playing in the Pac-12."
Mendenhall said at BYU's Junior Day last week that prospective recruits as far away as the East Coast have a "positive reception" of BYU's move to independence in football and like the exposure the Cougars will receive on ESPN.
But again, please, Bronco and Kyle, keep doing this thing, I salute you both — even if the McBride/Edwards sideshow kind of stole the show.
"One of these times, we'll both have current players and it'll really be fun," Mendenhall said as he laughed with reporters before he headed out the door.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28