During his successful hoops career, Matt Harpring had the pleasure of learning and playing under a bevy of esteemed coaches such as Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown, Chuck Daly, Doc Rivers, Bobby Cremins, Randy Wittman and Ron Bell.
For the 10th summer, the former Utah Jazz player hopes to help youth benefit from knowledge he gained from those coaches as well as a few tricks of the trade he picked up during a successful 11-year NBA career.
This summer, Harpring will give local kids (ages 7-15) two chances to participate in his Back to Basics Camp with morning and afternoon sessions at The Park Center in Murray from June 27-30 and July 18-21.
"My main focus — and I tell the kids when they get in here — I want you to have fun," he said. "And, I want you to improve."
Harpring gets a kick out of working with younger basketball players, regardless of ability level. With the help of a staff of coaches — some former camp participants — Harpring teaches drills that focus on NBA-level fundamentals. Players work on boxing out, defense, shooting, playing the right way and even enjoying the sport.
"It's just amazing to me how the fundamentals of the game are getting lost," Harpring said. "Yet when somebody is fundamentally sound, they are very effective. You don't have to have to be a SportsCenter hero to be good."
Harpring's camp also includes games, awards, a jersey, an autographed photo with the participant and Harpring, sponsor gifts and personal interaction with him and coaches.
"At the end of the day," Harpring added, "you just want the kids to have fun."
Information and registration forms are available at mattharpring.com. Cost is $165 for one session or camper, or $150 for multiple sessions or campers from the same family.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 96
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27