OGDEN — Weber State point guard Damian Lillard was officially granted his medical redshirt petition Thursday, following approval from the Big Sky Conference NCAA Faculty representatives and the presidents of the conference schools. Lillard will be a junior for the Wildcats this fall.
The Oakland, Calif., native played in nine games for the Wildcats during the 2010-11 season before suffering a foot injury that forced him to miss the remainder of the season. He suffered the injury in the second half of Weber State's game at Tulsa on Dec. 16. In his nine games with the Wildcats Lillard averaged 19.7 points and 4.2 rebounds and 3.7 assists per game, while shooting nearly 44 percent from the field. He scored in double digits in the eight full games he played in.
Because he participated in less than 30 percent of the Wildcats' games, Lillard was eligible for a medical redshirt.
Lillard was named the 2009-10 Big Sky Conference MVP after his sophomore season in which he helped lead the Wildcats to their second-straight Big Sky title. He led the Big Sky in scoring at 19.9 points per game, was fourth in the league in assists at 3.6 and was first in 3-point field goals made with 84. Those 84 3-pointers is the most in WSU single-season history. He received honorable mention All-American honors by the Associated Press. And his 617 points that season was the eighth most in WSU single-season history.
As a true freshman in 2008-09 he was a unanimous selection to the Big Sky All-Conference first team and was named the league's Freshman of the Year. He averaged 11.5 points on the season and helped lead the Wildcats to the Big Sky title.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 85
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32