I will insist that Washington learns to respect the Constitution, including the 10th Amendment. We will return responsibility and authority to the states for dozens of government programs – and that begins with a complete repeal of Obamacare.
From my first day in office my number one job will be to see that America once again is number one in job creation. You know, if you want to create jobs, it helps to have had a job. I will make business taxes competitive with other nations, modernize regulations and bureaucracy and finally promote America's trade interests. It's time for a president who cares more about America's workers than he does about America's union bosses.
Over the last thirty years, I can't tell you how many times I've heard a situation is hopeless. But I've never been very good at listening to those people and I've always enjoyed proving them wrong.
It's one of the lessons I learned from my Dad.
My father never graduated from college. He apprenticed, as a lath and plaster carpenter, and he was darn good at it. He learned how to put a handful of nails in his mouth and spit them out, point forward. On their honeymoon, he and Mom drove across the country. Dad sold aluminum paint along the way, to pay for gas and hotels.
There were a lot reasons my father could have given up or set his sights lower. But Dad always believed in America; and in that America, a lath and plaster man could work his way up to running a little car company called American Motors, and end up Governor of a state where he had once sold aluminum paint.
For my Dad, America was the land of opportunity, where the circumstances of birth are no barrier to achieving one's dreams. Small business and entrepreneurs were encouraged, and respected, and a good worker could almost always find a good job.
The spirit of enterprise, innovation, pioneering and can-do propelled our standard of living and economy past every other nation on earth.
I refuse to believe that America is just another place on the map with a flag. We stand for freedom and opportunity and hope.
These last two years have not been the best of times. But while we've lost a couple of years, we have not lost our way. The principles that made us a great nation and leader of the world have not lost their meaning. They never will.
We know we can bring this country back.
I'm Mitt Romney. I believe in America.
And I'm running for President of the United States.
- Gay couples wed after federal judge overturns...
- Photos of unicyclist riding in Utah snowstorm...
- Court ruling has created 'chaotic situation,'...
- Same-sex couples flock to S.L. County offices...
- 'A dream fulfilled': Lindon couple closing...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow hid...
- Christmas I remember best: I discovered...
- UHP vehicle, mail truck, involved in separate...
- Gay couples wed after federal judge... 307
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 80
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah... 42
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow... 33
- Same-sex couples flock to S.L. County... 31
- Court ruling has created 'chaotic... 27
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 26
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for... 25