IBM, Associated Press
NEW YORK — The "Jeopardy"-playing IBM computer Watson has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees Thursday.
The recently disbanded rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen artist of the year. The band presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast in April.
"It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website Funny or Die, will be honored as film and video person of the year. In the earlier-announced Webby winners, Funny or Die led with a total of nine awards.
Martin Cooper, a former Motorola executive who's considered the father of the mobile phone, will be given a Webby for lifetime achievement.
The 15th annual Webby Awards ceremony is June 13, hosted by Lisa Kudrow. The show will stream live on numerous outlets, including via Facebook, the Huffington Post and Funny or Die.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Another American hostage at risk by Islamic...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- Colleges add luxury touches to new football...
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 51
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 25
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 21
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14