IBM, Associated Press
NEW YORK — The "Jeopardy"-playing IBM computer Watson has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees Thursday.
The recently disbanded rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen artist of the year. The band presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast in April.
"It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website Funny or Die, will be honored as film and video person of the year. In the earlier-announced Webby winners, Funny or Die led with a total of nine awards.
Martin Cooper, a former Motorola executive who's considered the father of the mobile phone, will be given a Webby for lifetime achievement.
The 15th annual Webby Awards ceremony is June 13, hosted by Lisa Kudrow. The show will stream live on numerous outlets, including via Facebook, the Huffington Post and Funny or Die.
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law into...
- A new initiative from the Obama...
- Obama maintains busy fundraising schedule,...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 25
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 21
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 21
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 18
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- After government topples crosses in... 14
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13