IBM, Associated Press
NEW YORK — The "Jeopardy"-playing IBM computer Watson has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees Thursday.
The recently disbanded rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen artist of the year. The band presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast in April.
"It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website Funny or Die, will be honored as film and video person of the year. In the earlier-announced Webby winners, Funny or Die led with a total of nine awards.
Martin Cooper, a former Motorola executive who's considered the father of the mobile phone, will be given a Webby for lifetime achievement.
The 15th annual Webby Awards ceremony is June 13, hosted by Lisa Kudrow. The show will stream live on numerous outlets, including via Facebook, the Huffington Post and Funny or Die.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe over...
- Decision on Yellowstone bison quarantine...
- It's not just young people — seniors...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7