IBM, Associated Press
NEW YORK — The "Jeopardy"-playing IBM computer Watson has been named person of the year by the Webby Awards.
The Webbys, which honor Internet achievement, announced their special honorees Thursday.
The recently disbanded rock group LCD Soundsystem was chosen artist of the year. The band presented their final concert at Madison Square Garden in a live webcast in April.
"It Gets Better Project" founder Dan Savage will be honored for special achievement. Savage's online video campaign has urged young people to stand up to bullying against lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender teens.
Director Adam McKay and Chris Henchy, co-founders of the comedy website Funny or Die, will be honored as film and video person of the year. In the earlier-announced Webby winners, Funny or Die led with a total of nine awards.
Martin Cooper, a former Motorola executive who's considered the father of the mobile phone, will be given a Webby for lifetime achievement.
The 15th annual Webby Awards ceremony is June 13, hosted by Lisa Kudrow. The show will stream live on numerous outlets, including via Facebook, the Huffington Post and Funny or Die.
- Have you seen 'Age of Ultron'? Here are 50...
- LA man builds small home for homeless lady
- Floyd Mayweather wins decision over Manny...
- Here's a quiz to test your Star Wars...
- 'Avengers' sequel is second biggest US opener...
- Britain has a new princess — and...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 18 of the best made-up words from children's...
- Religious liberty issues dog Supreme... 44
- Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders: 'I am... 40
- Rage to relief in Baltimore as 6... 40
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 25
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on... 21
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Many 8th graders score poorly on US... 11