Mike Sorensen: Jimmer Fredette, Deron Williams talk golf and hoops
"It's over and done with now — no reason to talk about it," he said. "It is what it is. Best of luck to the Utah Jazz and their franchise. They got some good draft picks for me, so hopefully they pan out for them."
Williams did say he would be back in Utah this summer to play in the member-guest tournament at the Glenwild Golf Club near Park City in July.
Neither Fredette nor Williams expects to do well in the tournament, which features a purse of $600,000 with a first prize of $125,000.
Of course being in Nevada, the tournament has odds for each of the 80 players with Elway listed as one of the favorites at 10-1, along with Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo (5-2) and former Braves' pitcher John Smoltz (5-1).
Fredette is a 40-1 choice on the betting lines, which seems a bit generous after hearing him describe his game on the links. It's the same odds as Jordan, who one time had aspirations of playing on the PGA Tour, but much better than Barkley and his infamous golf swing, who is listed at 500-1.
When asked about the odds, Fredette said he was a lot closer to Barkley than Jordan and said he hoped his finished "in the middle of the pack" and not in last place.
Williams is a 100-1 betting choice, despite his 10-handicap and the time he works on his game every offseason. When told about the odds, Williams laughed and said, "I'd say about 1,000-1."
Even though they won't win, Williams and Fredette should have a good time playing golf next month at Lake Tahoe. Who knows, perhaps we'll see them on the court at the same time next winter when New Jersey comes to town to play the Utah Jazz.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7