Mike Sorensen: Jimmer Fredette, Deron Williams talk golf and hoops
"It's over and done with now — no reason to talk about it," he said. "It is what it is. Best of luck to the Utah Jazz and their franchise. They got some good draft picks for me, so hopefully they pan out for them."
Williams did say he would be back in Utah this summer to play in the member-guest tournament at the Glenwild Golf Club near Park City in July.
Neither Fredette nor Williams expects to do well in the tournament, which features a purse of $600,000 with a first prize of $125,000.
Of course being in Nevada, the tournament has odds for each of the 80 players with Elway listed as one of the favorites at 10-1, along with Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo (5-2) and former Braves' pitcher John Smoltz (5-1).
Fredette is a 40-1 choice on the betting lines, which seems a bit generous after hearing him describe his game on the links. It's the same odds as Jordan, who one time had aspirations of playing on the PGA Tour, but much better than Barkley and his infamous golf swing, who is listed at 500-1.
When asked about the odds, Fredette said he was a lot closer to Barkley than Jordan and said he hoped his finished "in the middle of the pack" and not in last place.
Williams is a 100-1 betting choice, despite his 10-handicap and the time he works on his game every offseason. When told about the odds, Williams laughed and said, "I'd say about 1,000-1."
Even though they won't win, Williams and Fredette should have a good time playing golf next month at Lake Tahoe. Who knows, perhaps we'll see them on the court at the same time next winter when New Jersey comes to town to play the Utah Jazz.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot... 22