A piece in today's Washington Post details the GOP feeding frenzy for financial donors that comes on the heels of several high-profile quasi-candidates ultimately opting not to run, and which includes Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman Jr.
The Post lays out how Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee each seriously considered running for president in 2012 but eventually decided against it. Romney, Huntsman and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty are scurrying to line up Republican fundraisers who would've aligned themselves with one of the aforementioned trio of non-candidates.
"Operatives for Romney, the presumptive front-runner, and declared candidate Tim Pawlenty have been busy contacting major Daniels supporters and other uncommitted donors in recent days in hopes of securing crucial financial commitments for the months ahead, according to sources close to the talks," the Post reports. "A third possible candidate with strong establishment credentials, former Utah governor and China ambassador Jon Huntsman Jr., kicked off a fundraising trip through California last week in hopes of drumming up support for his own presidential bid."
A Wednesday blog post at the New York Times hypothesizes that the New Hampshire primary in mid-February may be the last, best chance to derail Team Romney.
"If Mr. Romney wins in New Hampshire, the momentum from that victory could propel him into wins in later primaries, which, combined with his ability to raise more money than his rivals, could make him hard to stop."
"I admire Congressman Paul Ryan's honest attempt to save Medicare," Huntsman writes. "Those who disagree with his approach incur a moral responsibility to propose reforms that would ensure Medicare's ability to meet its responsibilities to retirees without imposing an unaffordable tax burden on future generations of Americans."
EMAIL: email@example.com, Twitter: askargo
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- The Draw at Sugar House unveiled
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 70
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 27
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 25