A piece in today's Washington Post details the GOP feeding frenzy for financial donors that comes on the heels of several high-profile quasi-candidates ultimately opting not to run, and which includes Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman Jr.
The Post lays out how Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee each seriously considered running for president in 2012 but eventually decided against it. Romney, Huntsman and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty are scurrying to line up Republican fundraisers who would've aligned themselves with one of the aforementioned trio of non-candidates.
"Operatives for Romney, the presumptive front-runner, and declared candidate Tim Pawlenty have been busy contacting major Daniels supporters and other uncommitted donors in recent days in hopes of securing crucial financial commitments for the months ahead, according to sources close to the talks," the Post reports. "A third possible candidate with strong establishment credentials, former Utah governor and China ambassador Jon Huntsman Jr., kicked off a fundraising trip through California last week in hopes of drumming up support for his own presidential bid."
A Wednesday blog post at the New York Times hypothesizes that the New Hampshire primary in mid-February may be the last, best chance to derail Team Romney.
"If Mr. Romney wins in New Hampshire, the momentum from that victory could propel him into wins in later primaries, which, combined with his ability to raise more money than his rivals, could make him hard to stop."
"I admire Congressman Paul Ryan's honest attempt to save Medicare," Huntsman writes. "Those who disagree with his approach incur a moral responsibility to propose reforms that would ensure Medicare's ability to meet its responsibilities to retirees without imposing an unaffordable tax burden on future generations of Americans."
EMAIL: email@example.com, Twitter: askargo
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8