I am awestruck by Elizabeth Smart. She has again demonstrated courage and poise by facing Brian David Mitchell. She told her tormentor that he had no control over her life, she had moved on and was happy. This young woman was radiant in every picture I of her saw in the newspapers or on TV. She has, through the grace of God, overcome horrific events.
Elizabeth could have played the victim and wallowed in self-pity; she could have found any number of lawyers to indulge her and of course found someone or some entity to sue. But Elizabeth has quietly moved on with her life while Mitchell slowly ground through the judicial system. Most of us unfortunately choose to grovel and set our sites according to the world's standard. Thank you, Elizabeth, for showing us an unlimited horizon and demonstrating real freedom.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges Hatch...
- Charles Krauthammer: Donald, Hillary and the...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 53
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 33
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- Letter: Citizens have a duty 19
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 18