Mitt Romney is going to great lengths to set the record straight about the health-care plan he helped usher in as governor of Massachusetts.
The banner to an in-depth story in Monday's Boston Globe reads, "The former governor has faced a fusillade from the right for the plan they call RomneyCare. But a look back at the birth of the Mass. law shows why he can't, and won't, back away. It was an amazing political feat, and no one's role was bigger than his."
The article draws upon an exclusive interview Romney gave to Globe reporter Brian C. Mooney.
"Overall, it was a positive approach," Romney said. "I'm proud of the fact we took on a real tough problem and moved the ball forward. … I know this is going to get a lot of conversation, but the health of the people in Massachusetts is more important to me than the health of my political prospects."
In addition to the article, the Globe's health-care package also includes a data-rich graphic "How Massachusetts' health care bill became law.".
A new feature by Ryan Lizza in The New Yorker (subscription required) addresses how Romney's "greatest achievement has become his biggest liability." One passage in particular compares and contrasts Romney's health-care plan with Pres. Barack Obama's.
"If it were not for Mitt Romney, with assistance from the Heritage Foundation and George W. Bush, it is extremely unlikely that Obama would have passed his universal health-care law. … The two laws do differ in important ways. Romney funded his largely with revenue from the federal government; Obama used a mixture of new taxes and savings from changes to Medicare. Romney's law was strictly about expanding coverage to the uninsured; Obama's includes mechanisms to help control health-care costs. But the basic architecture is the same. The Obama Administration and Congress drew on the expertise of many of the policymakers in Massachusetts."
EMAIL: email@example.com witter: askargo
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17