Utah Jazz to see six players in pre-draft workout on Sunday
SALT LAKE CITY — Let the annual Tour de Salt Lake City begin for NBA hopefuls.
The Utah Jazz have scheduled their first hometown pre-draft workout for Sunday, with six players set to show off their stuff at the team's training facility in front of the organization's staff.
The group is highlighted by lottery potential Markieff Morris, a 6-foot-10 forward from Kansas. However, his twin brother, power forward Marcus Morris, will not be at this particular workout.
Though he isn't considered a first-round prospect, Butler guard Shelvin Mack will also work out for the Jazz. Mack, of course, helped the Bulldogs to the NCAA title game the past two seasons, and qualified for the 2010 Final Four at EnergySolutions Arena with then-teammate and current Jazzman Gordon Hayward.
Center Jeremy Tyler, of San Diego, and Purdue forward JaJuan Johnson are the next most recognizable names and are being bandied about as possible late first-round picks by draft experts.
The 19-year-old Tyler played in Tokyo this past season after skipping his senior season to play professionally overseas. When the 6-foot-11 center made his surprising announcement in 2009, the New York Times speculated that he might be the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA by the time he was eligible (2011) to be drafted.
Cleveland State guard Norris Cole and Ohio State forward Dallas Lauderdale will also attend the closed-door workout.
None of the six players are projected to be taken by the Jazz with either the third or 12th picks — or by other teams in the top 12 — in the June 23 draft, according to ESPN.com, NBADraft.net and DraftExpress.com.
Sunday's Jazz Pre-Draft Workout Invitees
Norris Cole . . . G . . . 6-2 . . . 170 . . . Cleveland State
JaJuan Johnson . . . F . . . 6-10 . . . 221 . . . Purdue
Dallas Lauderdale . . . F . . . 6-8 . . . 255 . . . Ohio State
Shelvin Mack . . . G . . . 6-3 . . . 215 . . . Butler
Markieff Morris . . . F . . . 6-10 . . . 245 . . . Kansas
Jeremy Tyler . . . C . . . 6-11 . . . 225 . . . San Diego, Calif.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 86
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 31
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14