Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate
Republican lobbyist and former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers has an idea to help Jon Huntsman Jr. secure the support of right-wing Republicans: choose a tea party running mate sooner than later.
In a column in the Washington Post, Rogers lays out his reasoning for why the potential pairing of Huntsman and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., would be a match made in GOP heaven.
"Jon Huntsman is an articulate, attractive, cerebral, urbane internationalist" Rogers writes. "He's a proven conservative with a reassuring, moderate tone and a model family. … In other words, he is 'toast' in today's Republican Party, and he has very little chance to be the 2012 nominee.
"Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann is a GOP leader to watch. She is a star in the party and bulletproof with our right wing. She is more thoughtful than she gets credit for. The Tea Party will follow her to the ends of the earth. … But she also has many glib, shallow positions."
Bachmann said Thursday that she intends to announce her candidacy for president next month in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa.
In the wake of Bachmann signaling her intention to enter the presidential fray, national media outlets such as Politico and MSNBC are drawing the inevitable comparisons between Bachmann and 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- Li-Fraumeni syndrome forces the Thompson...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with Tooele...
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson, but...
- Top Utah stories of 2014
- 'Somebody knows what happened,' daughter...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Rally in support of police also draws... 44
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 23
- Utah came first for Rep. Jim Matheson,... 21
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail... 7
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with... 6
- Top Utah stories of 2014 6
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper... 4
- Park City police nab pair suspected of... 4