Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate
Republican lobbyist and former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers has an idea to help Jon Huntsman Jr. secure the support of right-wing Republicans: choose a tea party running mate sooner than later.
In a column in the Washington Post, Rogers lays out his reasoning for why the potential pairing of Huntsman and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., would be a match made in GOP heaven.
"Jon Huntsman is an articulate, attractive, cerebral, urbane internationalist" Rogers writes. "He's a proven conservative with a reassuring, moderate tone and a model family. … In other words, he is 'toast' in today's Republican Party, and he has very little chance to be the 2012 nominee.
"Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann is a GOP leader to watch. She is a star in the party and bulletproof with our right wing. She is more thoughtful than she gets credit for. The Tea Party will follow her to the ends of the earth. … But she also has many glib, shallow positions."
Bachmann said Thursday that she intends to announce her candidacy for president next month in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa.
In the wake of Bachmann signaling her intention to enter the presidential fray, national media outlets such as Politico and MSNBC are drawing the inevitable comparisons between Bachmann and 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- Herriman woman wants murder charge in death...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 49
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 44
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 33
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 17
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 13