Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate
Republican lobbyist and former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers has an idea to help Jon Huntsman Jr. secure the support of right-wing Republicans: choose a tea party running mate sooner than later.
In a column in the Washington Post, Rogers lays out his reasoning for why the potential pairing of Huntsman and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., would be a match made in GOP heaven.
"Jon Huntsman is an articulate, attractive, cerebral, urbane internationalist" Rogers writes. "He's a proven conservative with a reassuring, moderate tone and a model family. … In other words, he is 'toast' in today's Republican Party, and he has very little chance to be the 2012 nominee.
"Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann is a GOP leader to watch. She is a star in the party and bulletproof with our right wing. She is more thoughtful than she gets credit for. The Tea Party will follow her to the ends of the earth. … But she also has many glib, shallow positions."
Bachmann said Thursday that she intends to announce her candidacy for president next month in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa.
In the wake of Bachmann signaling her intention to enter the presidential fray, national media outlets such as Politico and MSNBC are drawing the inevitable comparisons between Bachmann and 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- New poll shows more support for Sen. Mike Lee
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 51
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16