Lobbyist: Jon Huntsman Jr. should choose tea party running mate
Republican lobbyist and former Reagan staffer Ed Rogers has an idea to help Jon Huntsman Jr. secure the support of right-wing Republicans: choose a tea party running mate sooner than later.
In a column in the Washington Post, Rogers lays out his reasoning for why the potential pairing of Huntsman and Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., would be a match made in GOP heaven.
"Jon Huntsman is an articulate, attractive, cerebral, urbane internationalist" Rogers writes. "He's a proven conservative with a reassuring, moderate tone and a model family. … In other words, he is 'toast' in today's Republican Party, and he has very little chance to be the 2012 nominee.
"Meanwhile, Rep. Michele Bachmann is a GOP leader to watch. She is a star in the party and bulletproof with our right wing. She is more thoughtful than she gets credit for. The Tea Party will follow her to the ends of the earth. … But she also has many glib, shallow positions."
Bachmann said Thursday that she intends to announce her candidacy for president next month in her birthplace of Waterloo, Iowa.
In the wake of Bachmann signaling her intention to enter the presidential fray, national media outlets such as Politico and MSNBC are drawing the inevitable comparisons between Bachmann and 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- Understanding Israel and Hamas: Why this...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26