DEAUVILLE, France — France says Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi must leave power now and Britain calls him an appalling dictator, but Russia says NATO has gone too far in its bombing campaign against Gadhafi's forces.
Escalating violence in Libya worried a gathering of rich world leaders as much or more than their own debts and joblessness, but they could not agree Thursday on how to punish Libya's leader or restore peace, highlighting the difficulty in making sure Arab uprisings have peaceful endings.
In a possible bid to soften Russian resistance to the NATO-led airstrikes, leaders of the Group of Eight nations asked Moscow to act as a "mediator" with Libya, according to President Dmitry Medvedev's spokeswoman. Natalya Timakova did not elaborate on what kind of role that could be, in comments carried on Russian news agencies.
President Barack Obama "is leading that initiative to work with the Russians" on Libya, said Michael McFaul, Russia adviser at the National Security Council. Obama's deputy national security adviser, Ben Rhodes, told reporters in Deauville, "Russia has relations, not just in Libya but across most of North Africa. ... We can benefit from those types of consultations and contacts with them."
Medvedev met with Obama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy in the Normandy resort of Deauville in a G-8 summit dominated by talk of upheaval in the Arab world. That overshadowed concerns about deficits and joblessness in the Group of Eight nations: the United States, France, Britain, Russia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Canada.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- At least 31 believed dead at Japanese volcano...
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic State threat
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 36
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 23
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 9
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7