DETROIT — Jacoby Ellsbury hit a three-run homer in a five-run second inning, and the hot-hitting Boston Red Sox went on to rout the Detroit Tigers 14-1 in an eight-inning, rain-shortened game Thursday.
The Red Sox, 14-2 winners over Cleveland on Wednesday, scored at least 14 runs in back-to-back games for the first time since 1998. Boston has won 11 of 13.
Carl Crawford's two-run triple gave the Red Sox a seven-run lead and chased Max Scherzer (6-2).
Alfredo Aceves (2-0) allowed a run on five hits and struck out six over six innings. Aceves made his second start with Boston and the seventh of his career.
He has won his last 12 decisions, dating to 2009 when he was a Yankees reliever, for baseball's longest winning streak since Cliff Lee won the same number of consecutive decisions with Cleveland three years ago. Aceves' previous 11 wins were as a reliever.
ORIOLES 6, ROYALS 5 (12 INNINGS): At Baltimore, Vladimir Guerrero singled in Robert Andino in the 12th inning to give Baltimore its season-high fifth straight victory. Nolan Reimold had four hits, including two homers, and four RBIs for the Orioles, who squandered a bases-loaded, no-out situation in the 11th before coming through in the 12th.
ATHLETICS 4, ANGELS 3: At Anaheim, Calif., Brett Anderson tossed three-hit ball over eight scoreless innings, and Andy LaRoche drove in three runs in last-place Oakland's victory over Los Angeles.
WHITE SOX 3, BLUE JAYS 1: At Toronto, Juan Pierre's ninth-inning infield single drove in the tiebreaking run for Chicago in the White Sox's 13th victory in their last 19 games.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32