TRIPOLI, Libya — Libya's government is pushing a new cease-fire proposal and said for the first time it was prepared to speak with its rebel adversaries.3 comments on this story
Prime Minister Al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi's comments suggest the government could be ready to make concessions after more than three months of fighting, NATO strikes and increasing international pressure.
The prime minister said at a news conference in Tripoli on Thursday that he was willing to hold talks with "all Libyans," including members of the rebel administration.
Officials from Moammar Gadhafi's regime previously said they would not speak to the rebel government, saying it did not represent Libyans.
The rebels have insisted that Gadhafi relinquish power before any cease-fire can be considered.