BYU football: Matt Reynolds named All-American, 18 Cougars on All-Independent Team
PROVO — BYU left tackle Matt Reynolds has been named a preseason All-American and one of 18 Cougars selected to Phil Steele's 2011 Preseason All-Independent Team announced Tuesday.
An Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award candidate, Reynolds enters his senior season as one of the nation's top lineman after deciding not to enter this year's NFL Draft. A three-year starter and two-time first- team all-conference honoree, Reynolds received Preseason All-America Second Team accolades in Phil Steele's College Football Preview, which hits newsstands on June 7.
Reynolds is joined on the magazine's Preseason All-Independent First Team by quarterback Jake Heaps, running back JJ Di Luigi, offensive guard Braden Hansen, linebacker Brandon Ogletree, kick return specialist Cody Hoffman and punt return specialist JD Falslev.
Eleven additional Cougars were named to the preseason second team. Offensive selections include Hoffman and fellow receiver McKay Jacobson along with tight end Devin Mahina, center Terence Brown and offensive tackle Braden Brown. Defensive picks include linebacker Jordan Pendleton, safeties Travis Uale and Daniel Sorensen and defensive linemen Matt Putnam and Hebron Fangupo. BYU punter Riley Stephenson was also named to the second team.
The Preview also lists BYU at No. 29 in its preseason rankings. With 18 starters returning overall, BYU opens fall camp in August in preparation for the program's first year as a football independent with television partner ESPN.
The 2011 schedule includes opponents from the Southeastern Conference, Big 12, Pac-12, Conference USA, Western Athletic Conference, Mountain West Conference and Big Sky. The 12-game schedule kicks off at Ole Miss on Sept. 3 and concludes at Hawaii on Dec. 3.
Season tickets are now available through the Marriott Center Ticket Office (801-422-BYU1) or online at BYUtickets.com. Season ticket packages reflect the team's seven-game home schedule in 2011, one more contest than last year, with season ticket package per-game prices staying the same as the 2010 season.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 32