Unlike the Tony-nominated "The Book of Mormon," this new musical is not on Broadway; it runs July 14-31 at the Barrington Stage Company in Pittsfield, Mass.
The show is billed by the Barrington Stage Company as "a quirky new comedy about a boy and his Mormon mother who smile their way through three shattering divorces." As the boy grows, "he hides under the bed sheets, prays fervently and tries to figure out just who is responsible for his (crummy, crummy) life," according to the stage company's website.
Writer Sam Salmond based the musical on his "turbulent life as the son of a thrice-married British mother who raised him in the Mormon faith, first in England and then, starting at age 9, in Pittsburgh," according to a Boston Globe article. Among the main character's difficulties is his struggle growing up as a homosexual artist, said a Barrington Stage Company representative.
"What we have is hopefully a really funny show about painful and complicated experiences,'" Salmond told the Globe. He added that the musical navigates "my relationship to being a Mormon, to my mother, and to the things that I was afraid of. I became afraid of my mother at one point.'"
Though this new musical has the word 'Mormon' in it, "This is not at all the same show,'" as "The Book of Mormon" musical, Solomond stressed in the Globe story. "It just happens to share the name 'Mormon.'"
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 30
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14