By agreeing to participate in the Kohl's Cares charitable fundraiser, Baby Llama has cemented his status as one of the uber superstars of children's books.
Juvenile literature aficionados already know Baby Llama first exploded onto the book scene in 2005 as the title protagonist of Anna Dewdney's "Llama Llama Red Pajama," and that Baby Llama subsequently burnished his rainmaker bona fides by headlining four more Dewdney tomes.
But Baby Llama is now reaching the masses like never before, thanks to his joint venture with Kohl's department-store chain nonprofit Kohl's Cares, which touts its mission as selling "kid-friendly merchandise, with 100 percent of the net profit donated to support kids' health and education initiatives." At all 12 Utah Kohl's locations, shoppers can snag a copy of "Red Pajama" or "Llama Llama Misses Momma" for only $5. Super-soft Baby Llama plush dolls are also available for the same price.
The Llama Llama books help take the tedium out of learning to read with the frequent use of alliteration, repetition and rhyme. Children ages 4-8 can easily relate to story lines that center on common mother-child dynamics such as bedtime separation anxiety ("Red Pajama") and starting school ("Misses Mama"). Adults also may find amusement in the nuances of the Llama Llama books (e.g., the small llama doll that Baby Llama often carries with him always mirrors Baby Llama's facial expressions).
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The Battle of...
- Sundance's 'Fiddler' makes tradition fun, fresh
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Big on opera: Utah Opera's artistic director...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 9
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 4
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2