SALT LAKE CITY — A pair of home runs from C.J. Cron and Shaun Cooper lifted the Utah baseball team to a 3-2 win over UAB on Friday afternoon at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
With the Utes down 2-1 after UAB scored a pair of runs in the top of the third inning to take the lead, Utah came back in the bottom of the from to retake the lead on the back-to-back home runs from Cron and Cooper. Cron hit a 475-foot liner to left field, while Cooper's was just over the fence in left center.
In a strategy geared towards next week's conference tournament, the Utes threw both Rick Anton and Joe Pond for four innings each on the mound. Anton allowed two runs on three hits, earning the win to raise his record to 8-1 on the year. Pond allowed just one hit with four strikeouts.
Tyler Wagner came on to pitch the ninth inning, and had one strikeout en-route to his 11th save of the season.
BYU 4, AIR FORCE 1: At Air Force Academy, Colo., Desmond Poulson fanned eight Falcons Friday to give BYU a 4-1 victory and help the Cougars rebound from a 4-3 loss to the Air Force.
The freshman righthander allowed only four hits on hitter-friendly Falcon Field as he threw 99 pitches and walked none in a complete nine-inning game to improve his record to 5-0. BYU improved to 28-25 and 10-12 in the Mountain West Conference, while the Academy fell to 19-35 and 4-19 in the shortest game of the Cougar season, an hour and 36 minutes.
"This is a glimpse of what we have to look forward to with Desmond (Poulson)," said BYU coach Vance Law. "He showed a lot of courage and maintained composure pitching lights out the entire game."
The two teams conclude the four-game series at the Academy at noon on Saturday.
ORAL ROBERTS 12, SUU 2: At Tulsa, Okla., Southern Utah (11-16) was eliminated from contention for a spot in the Summit League tournament.
Andy Harvey had a rough day on the mound for SUU, surrendering 11 runs on 11 hits in 32/3 innings. With the loss Harvey falls to 0-4 on the season.
The Thunderbirds will play their final game of the season on Saturday as they take on the Golden Eagles once again at 11 a.m.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7