SALT LAKE CITY — A pair of home runs from C.J. Cron and Shaun Cooper lifted the Utah baseball team to a 3-2 win over UAB on Friday afternoon at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
With the Utes down 2-1 after UAB scored a pair of runs in the top of the third inning to take the lead, Utah came back in the bottom of the from to retake the lead on the back-to-back home runs from Cron and Cooper. Cron hit a 475-foot liner to left field, while Cooper's was just over the fence in left center.
In a strategy geared towards next week's conference tournament, the Utes threw both Rick Anton and Joe Pond for four innings each on the mound. Anton allowed two runs on three hits, earning the win to raise his record to 8-1 on the year. Pond allowed just one hit with four strikeouts.
Tyler Wagner came on to pitch the ninth inning, and had one strikeout en-route to his 11th save of the season.
BYU 4, AIR FORCE 1: At Air Force Academy, Colo., Desmond Poulson fanned eight Falcons Friday to give BYU a 4-1 victory and help the Cougars rebound from a 4-3 loss to the Air Force.
The freshman righthander allowed only four hits on hitter-friendly Falcon Field as he threw 99 pitches and walked none in a complete nine-inning game to improve his record to 5-0. BYU improved to 28-25 and 10-12 in the Mountain West Conference, while the Academy fell to 19-35 and 4-19 in the shortest game of the Cougar season, an hour and 36 minutes.
"This is a glimpse of what we have to look forward to with Desmond (Poulson)," said BYU coach Vance Law. "He showed a lot of courage and maintained composure pitching lights out the entire game."
The two teams conclude the four-game series at the Academy at noon on Saturday.
ORAL ROBERTS 12, SUU 2: At Tulsa, Okla., Southern Utah (11-16) was eliminated from contention for a spot in the Summit League tournament.
Andy Harvey had a rough day on the mound for SUU, surrendering 11 runs on 11 hits in 32/3 innings. With the loss Harvey falls to 0-4 on the season.
The Thunderbirds will play their final game of the season on Saturday as they take on the Golden Eagles once again at 11 a.m.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45