To the victor go the spoils, good and bad alike.
In Mitt Romney's case, emerging as the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination is a good thing — but the enhanced exposure may have catalyzed White House allies to spend big money on an anti-Romney television advertisement that runs this weekend throughout South Carolina.
"Mitt Romney is the target of the debut ad by Priorities USA Action, the Dem super-PAC started by White House allies," Mike Allen wrote in Friday's Politico playbook tip sheet. "The ad hits hard and heavy today in markets throughout South Carolina, in conjunction with Romney's plans to make his first visit to the early-voting state on Saturday. A little bird says: 'It's an election-year-level buy on TV and online. If you watch the news in South Carolina this weekend, you will see the ad.'"
The New York Times also provides coverage of the new advertisement, including the information that Priorities USA Action was "co-founded last month by two former aides to President Obama."
Politico's Allen provides an unofficial transcription of what the narrator says during the Romney-bashing advertisement: "Newt Gingrich says the Republican plan that would essentially end Medicare is too 'radical.' (South Carolina) Governor (Nikki) Haley thinks the plan is courageous, and Gingrich shouldn't be cutting conservatives off at the knees. Mitt Romney says he's 'on the same page' as Paul Ryan, who wrote the plan to essentially end Medicare. But with Mitt Romney, you have to wonder: Which page is he on today? Priorities USA Action is responsible for the content of this advertisement."
Priorities USA Action's anti-Romney ad can be viewed here.
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: askargo
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- 10-year-old honored for saving little brother
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 84
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16