WASHINGTON — Jon Huntsman's potential presidential bid intensified Thursday with his first campaign-style trip through New Hampshire — a state that could prove key to his White House hopes.
The former Utah governor is on a five-day, 11-city tour of the early primary state, which startedThursday evening at a restaurant in Hanover.
"Gov. Huntsman will be introducing himself to the state in a manner that suits both him and Granite Staters — personal conversations at diners and country stores," Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller said. "There he will discuss the need to get our fiscal house in order and create jobs as well as his proven track record of doing just that as governor of Utah."
Huntsman may not be looking to focus on his since-completed tenure as U.S. ambassador to China under President Obama and his moderate stance on issues such as climate change and gay rights. Instead, like Mitt Romney, to whom Huntsman is frequently compared, the focus will be on his business background as a job-creator. (Before his career in politics, he was an executive with the multibillion-dollar corporation his father founded.) And like Romney, Huntsman may have to rely on more moderate Republicans and independents if he is to catch fire.
At a speech in South Carolina earlier this month, Huntsman explained his service in the Obama administration as a matter of patriotism and public service. He has also worked in Republican administrations.
It's unclear what path Huntsman would take to the GOP nomination, but it likely would come at Romney's expense. And it may have been no accident that this week, he set up what amounts to a campaign headquarters in Orlando, Fla.
Assuming he gets in the race and is competitive in some early contests, Huntsman, like Rudolph W. Giuliani in 2008, could end up betting heavily on Florida.
There is no doubt that the decision of Mike Huckabee to skip a 2012 run, along with the recent struggles of Newt Gingrich to get his campaign on track, has created a sense of opportunity.
- 31 things you might not know about the Harry...
- 13 baby names that are making a comeback
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Back to Beijing for 2nd Olympics in 14 years
- The one thing you may be giving your children...
- Man describes find that could solve MH370...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Boy Scout board approves end to blanket... 71
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Oklahoma Supreme Court: Ten... 27
- Obama: Republican criticism of Iran... 25
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 18
- Trump's call for mass deportations runs... 16