Utah Jazz jump up to grab No. 3 pick in June 23 NBA draft
Corbin and his staff — Scott Layden and Jeff Hornacek — will join O'Connor and other members of the organization's scouting team in Chicago today for the annual pre-draft camp.
This will give the Jazz a golden opportunity to watch many of the top prospects play and to conduct important interviews. The team will also invite potential picks to work out in Utah in the weeks leading up to the draft.
Corbin watched the lottery selection Tuesday at EnergySolutions Arena at a special function with season-ticket holders. He also held out hope of winning the No. 1 selection, but was very pleased with the turn of events overall.
"It's a great opportunity for us to get better sooner," Corbin said. "We get a chance to get a great player that we can put on the floor hopefully sooner than later. Kevin and his staff have always done a good job of getting good guys for us, so I'm excited about the pick."
The Jazz had a lottery pick last year, and they selected Gordon Hayward with that No. 9 selection that came from the New York Knicks.
But this will be the highest the team has picked since O'Connor pulled off a trade with Portland to move up from sixth to third, where the Jazz grabbed Williams over Chris Paul in 2005.
Maybe O'Connor's green tie, picked out by his wife, and the cufflinks that had the badge number from his father's days as a New York police officer really did give the Jazz some good fortune?
"My wife's going to take credit for it and I'll be happy for her to," O'Connor said. "It's nice to be able to get a plus on our side from where we moved from."
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- Even before easy win, good day for Serena...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27