Utah Jazz jump up to grab No. 3 pick in June 23 NBA draft
Corbin and his staff — Scott Layden and Jeff Hornacek — will join O'Connor and other members of the organization's scouting team in Chicago today for the annual pre-draft camp.
This will give the Jazz a golden opportunity to watch many of the top prospects play and to conduct important interviews. The team will also invite potential picks to work out in Utah in the weeks leading up to the draft.
Corbin watched the lottery selection Tuesday at EnergySolutions Arena at a special function with season-ticket holders. He also held out hope of winning the No. 1 selection, but was very pleased with the turn of events overall.
"It's a great opportunity for us to get better sooner," Corbin said. "We get a chance to get a great player that we can put on the floor hopefully sooner than later. Kevin and his staff have always done a good job of getting good guys for us, so I'm excited about the pick."
The Jazz had a lottery pick last year, and they selected Gordon Hayward with that No. 9 selection that came from the New York Knicks.
But this will be the highest the team has picked since O'Connor pulled off a trade with Portland to move up from sixth to third, where the Jazz grabbed Williams over Chris Paul in 2005.
Maybe O'Connor's green tie, picked out by his wife, and the cufflinks that had the badge number from his father's days as a New York police officer really did give the Jazz some good fortune?
"My wife's going to take credit for it and I'll be happy for her to," O'Connor said. "It's nice to be able to get a plus on our side from where we moved from."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19