Sherry Brophy, in her letter ("Keep the caucus system," Readers' Forum, May 13), makes the pitch that an elite group can better chose political candidates than ordinary citizens in an open general election. That assumption is not only totally undemocratic but anti-American. It smacks of the totalitarianism of the Third World where freedom to vote is withheld from the general public. What makes us free is the right of every citizen to vote for whom he or she wants. The elite group that the caucus system creates takes away this freedom from us.
Under the caucus/closed primary system I could not vote for either Bob Bennett or Olene Walker because the caucus delegates had already voted against them and kept them from entering the general primary election. That was not right or even American. Both of those candidates would have won handily their respective elections due to their popularity with the general public. But this elite group, with their tunnel vision, did not like them, so they eliminated them despite their popularity. Where is the freedom in that situation?
Yes, we live in a republican representative system, but the representatives of this system have the duty and obligation to vote the preferences of the general public, they represent. This has not happened with the caucus/closed primary system.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 23
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13