"We do not agree, however, with the district court's apparent view that the balance of the equities tilts heavily in favor of the players," the majority wrote. "The district court gave little or no weight to the harm caused to the league by an injunction issued in the midst of an ongoing dispute over terms and conditions of employment."
Colts owner Jim Irsay suggested that players and owners fine themselves every week after July 15 there is no new CBA.
"Get out of the courts!" Irsay tweeted.
Still in the courts is a separate but related matter. U.S. District Judge David Doty is determining the fate of some $4 billion in broadcast revenue he previously ruled was unfairly secured by the NFL in the last round of contract extensions with the networks to use as leverage in the form of lockout insurance. The players have asked Doty to put that money in escrow and for more than $707 million in damages, too.
The two sides also met for 16 days earlier this year before talks fell apart March 11 and the lockout began. Boylan presided over four days of mediation last month with no signs of progress and is scheduled to host the two sides again Tuesday.
Goodell, executive vice president Jeff Pash and four team owners — Rooney, Mike Brown of the Cincinnati Bengals, John Mara of the New York Giants and Jerry Richardson of the Carolina Panthers — were on hand with their legal team for Monday's session with Boylan.
The head of the NFL Players Association, DeMaurice Smith, and three other lawyers for the players were present for their side. Linebacker Ben Leber, one of the players listed as a plaintiff in the still-pending federal antitrust lawsuit against the league, also attended. Eller and attorneys were there representing the retired players.
AP Pro Football Writer Barry Wilner in New York and AP Sports Writers Jon Krawczynski in Minneapolis, John Wawrow in Buffalo, and Michael Marot in Indianapolis contributed to this report.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50