Cathleen Allison, Associated Press
CARSON CITY, Nev. — Lawmakers, lobbyists and students claimed camping spots feet from the Legislature's doors Monday as they prepared for an overnight campaign to show support for a Democratic tax package they say would raise $1.2 billion and stabilize Nevada's tax structure.
The three-day event, which includes two overnights and face-to-face meetings with lawmakers, was drawing members of Progress Now Nevada, the Nevada Women's Lobby, students and public sector union members.
At least five lawmakers committed to spending a night outdoors.
Assemblyman David Bobzien, D-Reno, staked out a spot under a tree Monday after being told the Wi-Fi reception was solid. He loaned a winter sleeping bag to another camper Sen. Sheila Leslie, D-Reno.
Senate Majority Leader Steven Horsford, D-Las Vegas, and fellow Democratic Sens. Moe Denis and Reuben Kihuen of Las Vegas were among the roster of lawmakers who committed to roughing it for a night.
Laura Martin, organizer of Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada, said the state needs a tax plan to support education and infrastructure.
"Cuts need to be made, yes, but we're from Vegas and there are parts that look like bombed-out Afghanistan," she said.
"Governing is not just staking out a position and saying no," she said of Gov. Brian Sandoval's no tax stance. "It's about compromise."
Standing behind a makeshift kitchen that included a tea kettle and a power strip connected to a generator, Martin said churches and unions donated provisions that included granola bars and cases of water.
"We have to be able to tweet," she said, explaining the power strip that was charging two phones.
Leliana DeLeon, 22, said she is camping to protect her education as well as that of her 2-year-old daughter.
"Education is what puts us on the map. It shouldn't even be a question of priorities," she said. DeLeon, who is studying radiology and biology, said she is fasting as part of her protest because "education is what we are hungry for."
- Calliop, Jag and Tintin: Here's a look at 20...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- What you think of welfare program depends on...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- WestJet airline video goes viral as Santa...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- India government likely to review... 25
- What you think of welfare program... 25
- Health care debate about presidential... 24
- Health care signups increase to... 23
- Looking beyond the premium is a... 17
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 15
- Little difference between PG-13 and... 13