National Archives and Records Ad
SALT LAKE CITY — The newly elected chairman of the Iron County Republican Party has been chosen to fill the seat of late state Sen. Dennis Stowell.
Casey Anderson defeated Stowell's widow, Marilee, and four other candidates at a special meeting Saturday in Cedar City of state GOP officers and delegates from District 28, The Spectrum of St. George reported. He won after three rounds of voting.
In the final round, he captured 62.5 percent of the vote to state Rep. Evan Vickers' 37.5 percent.
Anderson's name now will be submitted to Gov. Gary Herbert for special appointment to the seat, which represents Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Millard and part of Washington counties.
Also vying for the seat were Millard County GOP Chairman Peter Greathouse, Keith Harrison of Parowan and Allen G. Smith of Delta.
Each candidate was allowed to speak to delegates for five minutes before voting began.
Anderson said in the last 20 years government spending has increased 261 percent while the population has increased 62 percent. He also said he thinks the Legislature devotes too much time to special interests, citing House Bill 477 as an example.
The measure made changes to the state's open records laws that exempted text messages from public scrutiny and increased the cost of records requests.
Anderson said the measure never should have been introduced. In late March after a public outcry, lawmakers repealed it.
"Transparency, in reality, is still the rule," he said.
State GOP Chairman Thomas Wright opened the meeting by asking for a moment of silence to honor Stowell, who died April 17 at his Parowan home after a battle with cancer.
"I know it gives us no pleasure to be here tonight to hold his replacement," Wright said. "He'll hold a dear place in our heart."
Marilee Stowell, who was emotional at times during her speech to delegates, said it was a tender moment for her.
"We have been on a tough journey, and the outpouring of love and friendship to us has just been overwhelming," she said.
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Senate committee snuffs out e-cigarettes...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Honeyville man, 39, identified as avalanche...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 19
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 18
- Judge: Biological father will share... 18