National Archives and Records Ad
SALT LAKE CITY — The newly elected chairman of the Iron County Republican Party has been chosen to fill the seat of late state Sen. Dennis Stowell.
Casey Anderson defeated Stowell's widow, Marilee, and four other candidates at a special meeting Saturday in Cedar City of state GOP officers and delegates from District 28, The Spectrum of St. George reported. He won after three rounds of voting.
In the final round, he captured 62.5 percent of the vote to state Rep. Evan Vickers' 37.5 percent.
Anderson's name now will be submitted to Gov. Gary Herbert for special appointment to the seat, which represents Beaver, Garfield, Iron, Kane, Millard and part of Washington counties.
Also vying for the seat were Millard County GOP Chairman Peter Greathouse, Keith Harrison of Parowan and Allen G. Smith of Delta.
Each candidate was allowed to speak to delegates for five minutes before voting began.
Anderson said in the last 20 years government spending has increased 261 percent while the population has increased 62 percent. He also said he thinks the Legislature devotes too much time to special interests, citing House Bill 477 as an example.
The measure made changes to the state's open records laws that exempted text messages from public scrutiny and increased the cost of records requests.
Anderson said the measure never should have been introduced. In late March after a public outcry, lawmakers repealed it.
"Transparency, in reality, is still the rule," he said.
State GOP Chairman Thomas Wright opened the meeting by asking for a moment of silence to honor Stowell, who died April 17 at his Parowan home after a battle with cancer.
"I know it gives us no pleasure to be here tonight to hold his replacement," Wright said. "He'll hold a dear place in our heart."
Marilee Stowell, who was emotional at times during her speech to delegates, said it was a tender moment for her.
"We have been on a tough journey, and the outpouring of love and friendship to us has just been overwhelming," she said.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Payson woman found dead in duffel bag near...
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after...
- Duct tape prom attire earns Utah teens $5,000...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- Salt Lake City mayor's spokesman placed on...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 303
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 142
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36