GLENDALE, Colo. — The BYU Cougars advanced in the College Premier Division championship by beating Arkansas State 36-15 on Saturday night.
BYU will play Cal in title game on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The upcoming championship appearance will be BYU's sixth consecutive since 2006, with a lone victory coming in 2009 for the program's first national championship. Last year, the Cougars lost a heated championship bout 19-7 to Cal Berkeley.
BYU's sixth straight championship game is no small accomplishment, as only the historically vaunted Cal Berkeley team can claim such a stat with 12 straight coming from 1991-2002 and a current streak of eight straight since 2004.
But the Cougars' sixth championship appearance will take on added significance since it will be the first to be held in the state of Utah.
In Saturday's other semifinal game, Cal Berkeley dominated the University of Utah 62-14.
Utah finished its season with a 13-3 record, while undefeated Cal Berkeley is now 25-0.
The championship game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and tape-delayed broadcast on ESPNU on May 22, at 8 a.m.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17