GLENDALE, Colo. — The BYU Cougars advanced in the College Premier Division championship by beating Arkansas State 36-15 on Saturday night.
BYU will play Cal in title game on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The upcoming championship appearance will be BYU's sixth consecutive since 2006, with a lone victory coming in 2009 for the program's first national championship. Last year, the Cougars lost a heated championship bout 19-7 to Cal Berkeley.
BYU's sixth straight championship game is no small accomplishment, as only the historically vaunted Cal Berkeley team can claim such a stat with 12 straight coming from 1991-2002 and a current streak of eight straight since 2004.
But the Cougars' sixth championship appearance will take on added significance since it will be the first to be held in the state of Utah.
In Saturday's other semifinal game, Cal Berkeley dominated the University of Utah 62-14.
Utah finished its season with a 13-3 record, while undefeated Cal Berkeley is now 25-0.
The championship game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and tape-delayed broadcast on ESPNU on May 22, at 8 a.m.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24