GLENDALE, Colo. — The BYU Cougars advanced in the College Premier Division championship by beating Arkansas State 36-15 on Saturday night.
BYU will play Cal in title game on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The upcoming championship appearance will be BYU's sixth consecutive since 2006, with a lone victory coming in 2009 for the program's first national championship. Last year, the Cougars lost a heated championship bout 19-7 to Cal Berkeley.
BYU's sixth straight championship game is no small accomplishment, as only the historically vaunted Cal Berkeley team can claim such a stat with 12 straight coming from 1991-2002 and a current streak of eight straight since 2004.
But the Cougars' sixth championship appearance will take on added significance since it will be the first to be held in the state of Utah.
In Saturday's other semifinal game, Cal Berkeley dominated the University of Utah 62-14.
Utah finished its season with a 13-3 record, while undefeated Cal Berkeley is now 25-0.
The championship game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and tape-delayed broadcast on ESPNU on May 22, at 8 a.m.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 132
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 82
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 59
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33