GLENDALE, Colo. — The BYU Cougars advanced in the College Premier Division championship by beating Arkansas State 36-15 on Saturday night.
BYU will play Cal in title game on Saturday at 7 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The upcoming championship appearance will be BYU's sixth consecutive since 2006, with a lone victory coming in 2009 for the program's first national championship. Last year, the Cougars lost a heated championship bout 19-7 to Cal Berkeley.
BYU's sixth straight championship game is no small accomplishment, as only the historically vaunted Cal Berkeley team can claim such a stat with 12 straight coming from 1991-2002 and a current streak of eight straight since 2004.
But the Cougars' sixth championship appearance will take on added significance since it will be the first to be held in the state of Utah.
In Saturday's other semifinal game, Cal Berkeley dominated the University of Utah 62-14.
Utah finished its season with a 13-3 record, while undefeated Cal Berkeley is now 25-0.
The championship game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.com and tape-delayed broadcast on ESPNU on May 22, at 8 a.m.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 17
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14