For Uribe, immigration reform is a complex issue. "There are professionals and people who have immigrated and are good workers. There are good students and good citizens, but USA has [seen] the taint of drug trafficking. The United States is working to combat drug trafficking and [it] is a hard task."
Fighting drug trafficking
The former Colombian president believes that going after the leaders of the drug cartels is not enough, because a second or third leader will simply take over and continue with the organization. "We must continue a strong fight. If you ask me, what do I think of the struggle in Mexico, I would say that we first have to applaud them, because they are brave and admire the courage with which Mexico has [fought] it."
Uribe concluded the interview stating that the death of Osama bin Laden is an act of perseverance and although it may be hazardous to the immediate stability of the region, we "must continue to work against radicals in the same manner and with the same perseverance that so far we have done."
Recently the United Nations appointed Uribe the vice-chairman of the panel investigating the Gaza Flotilla Raid that occurred in May of 2010.
The commission will investigate the Israeli attack on the humanitarian fleet which left nine Turk civilians dead. Uribe was named the deputy director of the team.
Zions Bank's Trade and Business Conference will also focus on global and domestic economic trends, international risk and overseas opportunities for Utah companies.
Register online at www.zionsbank.com/conference or by calling (801) 844-8573. Seating is limited.
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- The battle over coal struggles to find a...
- There's more to why Americans don't save than...
- Utah Food Bank security breach exposes 10,000...
- How Medicare is trying to start a healthier...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- Handlers learn the finer points of sheepdog...
- Balancing act: Survey: Many people work...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 25
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic... 12
- Elected officials, business leaders... 7
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- There's more to why Americans don't... 5
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 3
- China probing brokers, regulators for... 1
- Applications for US jobless aid drop to... 1