For Uribe, immigration reform is a complex issue. "There are professionals and people who have immigrated and are good workers. There are good students and good citizens, but USA has [seen] the taint of drug trafficking. The United States is working to combat drug trafficking and [it] is a hard task."
Fighting drug trafficking
The former Colombian president believes that going after the leaders of the drug cartels is not enough, because a second or third leader will simply take over and continue with the organization. "We must continue a strong fight. If you ask me, what do I think of the struggle in Mexico, I would say that we first have to applaud them, because they are brave and admire the courage with which Mexico has [fought] it."
Uribe concluded the interview stating that the death of Osama bin Laden is an act of perseverance and although it may be hazardous to the immediate stability of the region, we "must continue to work against radicals in the same manner and with the same perseverance that so far we have done."
Recently the United Nations appointed Uribe the vice-chairman of the panel investigating the Gaza Flotilla Raid that occurred in May of 2010.
The commission will investigate the Israeli attack on the humanitarian fleet which left nine Turk civilians dead. Uribe was named the deputy director of the team.
Zions Bank's Trade and Business Conference will also focus on global and domestic economic trends, international risk and overseas opportunities for Utah companies.
Register online at www.zionsbank.com/conference or by calling (801) 844-8573. Seating is limited.
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- New solar energy project at Utah Olympic Oval...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City...
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last year
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 6
- Future of Draper Park School building... 4
- New solar energy project at Utah... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 3
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 3
- Project aims to improve wireless... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- US-EU trade talks sour amid chlorine... 1