Dick Harmon: Labor strife puts local NFL hopefuls on hold for now
Speredon is working construction while working out and keeping in shape. "I've got to buy food and diapers for the kid," he said.
Some are saying September or October may come before the NFL kicks off a game — and that can only come after a proper training camp and acclimation period.
Soccer or golf, anyone?
Japan earthquake fundraiser
Minnesota Viking running back Fahu Tahi and just graduated BYU lineman Jason Speredon accepted an invitation to join current Cougar football players Jake Heaps, J.J. DiLuigi, Bryan Karyia and Cody Hoffman at a giant carnival-like fundraiser on Monday at Cottonwood High School to raise relief money for victims of the earthquake victims in Japan.
The event will be from 5 to 9 p.m. on Monday.
"Jason's wife is one of the organizers, and he gave me a call," said Tahi. "I'll be there, it's a good cause."
The Peer Leadership Team and Girls Basketball Team at Cottonwood High School fundraiser hopes to collect $50,000 in combined community and corporate sponsorships.
"All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross to help the people of Japan who are suffering from the earthquakes, tsunami and current nuclear crisis," girls basketball coach Janae Hirschi said.
There will be autograph opportunities with the players and former Super Bowl champion Edwin Mulitalo of the Baltimore Ravens will make an appearance. American Idol contestant J.B. Ahfua, ENT and Malik, plus a Polynesian dance troupe will provide the live music.
"My wife and Hirschi are best friends and she assisted Hirschi coaching the girls. They saw this idea on Channel One and decided to do it at Cottonwood, try to make a difference," said Speredon.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 58
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14