Dick Harmon: Labor strife puts local NFL hopefuls on hold for now
Speredon is working construction while working out and keeping in shape. "I've got to buy food and diapers for the kid," he said.
Some are saying September or October may come before the NFL kicks off a game — and that can only come after a proper training camp and acclimation period.
Soccer or golf, anyone?
Japan earthquake fundraiser
Minnesota Viking running back Fahu Tahi and just graduated BYU lineman Jason Speredon accepted an invitation to join current Cougar football players Jake Heaps, J.J. DiLuigi, Bryan Karyia and Cody Hoffman at a giant carnival-like fundraiser on Monday at Cottonwood High School to raise relief money for victims of the earthquake victims in Japan.
The event will be from 5 to 9 p.m. on Monday.
"Jason's wife is one of the organizers, and he gave me a call," said Tahi. "I'll be there, it's a good cause."
The Peer Leadership Team and Girls Basketball Team at Cottonwood High School fundraiser hopes to collect $50,000 in combined community and corporate sponsorships.
"All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross to help the people of Japan who are suffering from the earthquakes, tsunami and current nuclear crisis," girls basketball coach Janae Hirschi said.
There will be autograph opportunities with the players and former Super Bowl champion Edwin Mulitalo of the Baltimore Ravens will make an appearance. American Idol contestant J.B. Ahfua, ENT and Malik, plus a Polynesian dance troupe will provide the live music.
"My wife and Hirschi are best friends and she assisted Hirschi coaching the girls. They saw this idea on Channel One and decided to do it at Cottonwood, try to make a difference," said Speredon.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20