KEARNS — A change of scenery was all Enterprise's Ryan West needed to show off his power.
West blasted two home runs and had five RBIs in the Wolves' 15-5 win over San Juan in the 2A winners' bracket semifinals on Thursday afternoon. It only took Enterprise five innings to stun the reigning 2A champions, and two swings of West's bat did much of the damage.
"The kid pounds the ball," Wolves coach Kyle Bundy said of West. "The problem is he's playing at Enterprise or else he'd hit a lot more home runs. The wind is blowing in all the time so it's just hard to hit home runs."
The evidence is in West's home run total — which was one — entering Thursday's game. But you wouldn't have known that with the way he drove the ball against the Broncos.
"I just try to hit the ball — line drives," West said. "I just tried to relax and have confidence."
The rest of the Wolves did the same thing against favored San Juan. Enterprise built an 8-0 lead after batting twice. Josh Pasini had a two-run double and West ripped a two-run homer in back-to-back at-bats during a seven-run second.
Morgun Phelps, who threw all five innings for Enterprise, hit a two-run single in the fourth to help his cause. West gave the Wolves their winning margin with a three-run blast in the fifth.
For Phelps, the game was about redemption. He was rocked by San Juan in the state tournament last year in an 11-1 defeat. The little lefty got his shot at the Broncos again, and didn't waste it.
"I wanted to get the ball," Phelps said. "I wanted to prove I could beat the best-hitting team."
The best-hitting team now in 2A might just be Enterprise. The Wolves, the Region 13 champions, have caught fire in the state tournament. They have 10-runned all of their three opponents, scoring 37 runs.
The Wolves were just the sixth-highest scoring team in 2A entering Thursday's game.
"When we swing it, we swing it good, and when we go cold, we go real cold," Bundy said. "It's about peaking at the right time, and I hope we're peaking at the right time."
Enterprise will play Beaver, a team it split two league games with during the regular season, in the winners' bracket final on Friday.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45