Real Salt Lake: MLS hands out punishment for tackle that injured Javier Morales
The MLS Disciplinary Committee officially suspended Chivas USA midfielder Marcos Mondaini for his reckless challenge on Real Salt Lake midfielder Javier Morales last weekend.
In addition to the one-game suspension and $250 fine that automatically comes with a red card, Mondaini will be suspended an additional three games and fined an additional $1,250.
Morales will be out at least four months after suffering a dislocated left ankle, broken left fibula and ligament damage. Morales, 31, had successful surgery on Monday, and is targeting an October return if all goes well.
After the match RSL coach Jason Kreis said he didn't think the foul was all that egregious. After seeing the replays, a few days later he admitted on the radio that it was worse than he initially though.
Many thought Mondaini might receive a similar 10-game suspension that Colorado's Brian Mullan received on his reckless challenge to Seattle's Steve Zakuani last month, which resulted in a broken leg for Zakuani.
In an mlssoccer.com article, Nelson Rodriguez, the MLS executive vice president of competition, technical and game operations said, "The disciplinary committee unanimously agreed that Marcos Mondaini's tackle on Javier Morales was reckless and endangered the safety of his opponent, hence the total suspension of four games and total fine of $1,500. The existence of a serious injury alone, however, does not mandate supplemental discipline of a certain level. The circumstances of each play are examined in great detail and discussed at length."
In the article, Rodriguez went on to say, "During its discussions, the committee characterized Mondaini's tackle as late, clumsy, and from behind. It was also, however, seen as an attempt to prevent his opponent from scoring. Brian Mullan's tackle on Steve Zakuani last month did not serve such a purpose. Rather, it showed utter disregard for his opponent's safety and appeared to be driven by anger."
Email: email@example.com. Twitter: DesNewsReal
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26