BYU baseball: Highly touted prospect impressive so far
"And he's got a chance to be one of those great hitters that has come out of BYU," he said. "He leads the team in RBI as a freshman and for a good part of the year, he was hitting ninth. That tells you that he's a productive player. He has surprising power for not being a really big guy. But he has such quick hands going through the strike zone with his bat. I think that really helps him drive the baseball to all fields. He's very well-respected among his teammates. He gets along great with the guys. He's really hard on himself. He's a real achiever. He wants to hit every at-bat. He expects huge things from himself, which is a great quality to have. That's going to help him become that much better."
Brugman possesses an unshakable confidence at the plate, no matter the situation.
"I go up there every time thinking I'm going to get a hit," he said. "If there's runners in scoring position, you have to get them in, whatever it takes. In those situations, I feel comfortable and not nervous, which is a good thing. I can concentrate on just getting that runner in."
There's room for improvement, of course.
"At times, and maybe part of it is because he's a freshman, he gets too aggressive early," Law said. "Because he's such a good hitter, and can hit any pitch, he'll swing at balls out of the strike zone at times. As he becomes more disciplined, he'll become that much more dangerous."
One of the underrated elements of Brugman's game is his defense. He has recorded a team-high eight assists.
"He's played a very good right field for us," Law said. "He has an above-average arm. He's throwing guys out. He's doing a tremendous job there. He's one of those guys that has a lot of tools in all areas. That will make him attractive to teams in professional baseball."
Brugman is looking forward to playing in the major leagues someday.
"It's been my goal for my whole life," he said. "Since I was a kid, that's all I've wanted to do."
In the meantime, Brugman will continue to hone his skills — at the plate and in the field — at BYU.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24