The schedule was adjusted to shoot more of Cruz's scenes before she started to show. The costume designer created an elastic corset to allow the actress to move more freely, and Cruz's outfits were constantly being altered.
"I just had a new fitting every three weeks," Cruz said. "We kept having fittings, but they were very, very kind to do it."
Cruz did all of her close-up action scenes, though her pregnancy forced the filmmakers to use a stunt double on more of the wide shots.
"And we were very clever how we shot her," Marshall said. "It took more time, but it was worth it. When I was looking to cast Angelica, I knew when I saw it on the page that this was quite a big bill to fill. You have to go up against Jack Sparrow, this iconic character, as a female. You have to match him and go toe-to-toe with Jack. She's got to be so many things. She has to be charismatic and sexy. She has to be a great actor and funny and physical.
"I realized for me that there was only one person. That was Penelope. So we knew that we'd rather work with her and make it work, because she was so right for the role."
After two films with Marshall, Cruz is reuniting with two other filmmakers for a couple of Italian tales. She co-stars with Jesse Eisenberg, Ellen Page and Alec Baldwin in Allen's next film, shooting this summer in Rome. Then she's doing an Italian-language film with actor-director Sergio Castellitto, who directed her in the 2004 drama "Don't Move."
Her work on Allen's film will take only three weeks, which suits Cruz's desire to balance career and family now that she's a mom.
"I'm sure naturally it alters or affects your decision process," Cruz said. "What is good is that for the last five years or so, I didn't want to work nonstop, like four movies a year, three movies a year, like I did before. I was a workaholic. The last few years, I've been doing one a year, two maximum, if they were short.
"So I think I found a good, healthy equilibrium between the time for work and the time for, you know, everything else in life."
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Ballet to Broadway: Two Utah-native siblings...
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Suspenseful 'Maze Runner' dodges limitations...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Sherry Young: The world is indeed a glorious...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2