He's always loved figuring out what makes each player tick, and using that to create unique motivational tactics. (How many other coaches hand-pick books for players and give them out.) Maybe he'd like to try his hand at building a team from scratch, becoming a general manager like Larry Bird or a personnel consultant.
Coaching a national team could be intriguing, too. It wouldn't require the time commitment of the NBA, and he could spend months toying with how to adapt the Triangle Offense to the international game and teaching it to a new group of players.
Mike Krzyzewski has the USA Basketball gig locked up for the London Olympics, but Jackson could take on host Britain, which is trying to upgrade its program, or another European team. Maybe not Spain, though; he probably needs a break from Pau Gasol.
Don't even rule out seeing Jackson back with the Lakers. Buss isn't joining Jackson in retirement, and he's already acknowledged their relationship will keep him involved with the team.
For Jackson, "the end" may simply may be another way of saying "to be continued."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36