They extended a franchise record by winning their sixth straight playoff game, a streak that began right after they blew a 23-point lead in Game 4 of their first-round series against Portland.
While the crowd went bonkers all afternoon, they weren't doused in confetti at game's end. The organization held back to symbolize that this is only a step toward the bigger goal of winning its first title.
"I'm going to enjoy this for a day," Dirk Nowitzki said. "I think I'm gonna have some pizza and cheat on my diet."
Terry made 11 of 14 shots for 32 points. J.J. Barea set a career playoff-best with 22 points and Peja Stojakovic added 21 points. None of those guys start.
"We've been doing it by committee all year long," said Nowitzki, who scored 17 points, his fewest this postseason. "There are a lot of guys who can make plays and make shots when it counts."
The Lakers blew big, late leads in Games 1 and 3, and came in talking about cleaning up their fourth-quarter performance. They never got that far.
The second quarter proved to be one of the most spectacular in Mavericks history, thanks mostly to Terry.
He was 5 of 6 from behind the arc that period, and the team was 7 of 8 — despite Jackson's repeated demands that his players run at them to try forcing them to dribble up for 2-pointers instead of 3s. The Mavericks had a run of 13-2 early in the quarter and a 10-1 spurt at the end.
Bryant couldn't bail out the Lakers. He made only 1 of 5 shots in the period and had two turnovers. His only basket came after shoving Barea away from him; the pesky little point guard got even right away, driving straight to the rim for a layup.
Bryant finished 7 of 18 for 17 points. Gasol's lost postseason continued, too; he had 10 points and eight rebounds.
To make the loss even more embarrassing for the Lakers, Lamar Odom and Bynum were both ejected within a 45-second span of the fourth quarter for flagrant fouls.
NOTES: Teams trailing 0-3 are now 0-99 in NBA playoff history. The Lakers became the 60th to get swept. ... Before the game, Jackson was told the league was fining him $35,000 for comments he made Saturday that were critical of officials. "That's not fun having a feeling like I've been chased down the freeway by them," Jackson said. "But as Richard Nixon says, 'You won't be able to kick this guy around any more.'" ... The lopsided loss continued a trend for the Lakers. Although they'd won nine straight series, their previous eliminations were by 39, nine, 31 and 13 points. ... The 39-point loss — to Boston in Game 6 of the 2008 Finals — was the only bigger blowout loss than this for Jackson, Bryant and the entire Lakers franchise. ... Nowitzki improved to 8-0 in playoff games against Gasol.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 18