Steve Jacobs, Associated Press
UTICA, N.Y. — Fire tore through one-half of a central New York duplex Monday morning, killing a mother and her three young children, authorities said.
The blaze broke out around 9:30 a.m. in a 2½-story home on the city's west side, fire officials said. When firefighters arrived minutes later, heavy smoke and flames were coming from the first and second floors.
Fire Chief Russell Brooks said the victims are a mother and her three children, ages 1, 2 and 4. Their names and the age of the mother weren't released, pending complete family notifications.
Firefighters were thwarted in their first attempt to search the building when a staircase collapsed. They used hoses to push the flames to the rear of the building and conducted a second search, Brooks said.
The fire was doused about 20 minutes after it was reported, and it was declared completely out by 11:30 a.m.
"It's a tragic day here in West Utica," Brooks said.
The cause of the fire was not known. When the house was inspected a year ago, officials said, it had working smoke detectors, but it was not immediately known if the detectors were working Monday.
John Rinner, who said he used to live nearby, told the Observer-Dispatch of Utica that the family moved into the neighborhood about two months ago.
Greg Maddox, 18, was visiting a relative on the same block when firefighters were searching for the victims. He said he often saw the children playing outside.
"The saddest thing was when they brought out the baby," Maddox told the newspaper.
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Employer health insurance will soon be taxed,...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- South Carolina sees sun, but flooding ordeal...
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from...
- 'Fire hose' of moisture slams South Carolina;...
- Oregon shooter rants in writings about having...
- 'A terrible day' - 9 killed by gunman... 61
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 39
- Trump defends 2nd Amendment following... 30
- Workers removing Ten Commandments from... 28
- Vatican: Pope's visit with Davis not a... 24
- Employer health insurance will soon be... 13
- Utah Rep. Chaffetz announces uphill run... 10