It was the 17th time there have been two major league no-hitters within a five-day span and the first since Al Leiter for Florida against Colorado on May 11, 1996, and Dwight Gooden for the New York Yankees against Seattle on May 14, according to STATS LLC.
Verlander has pitched two of the seven no-hitters in Tigers history. Virgil Trucks also had two for Detroit, both in 1952.
This was the fourth time the Blue Jays have been no-hit since entering the AL in 1977. The last was by Texas' Nolan Ryan, who threw his record seventh no-hitter to beat the Blue Jays on May 1, 1991.
Avila and Jhonny Peralta homered for the Tigers, who have won four of five.
Blue Jays left-hander Ricky Romero (2-4), who has lost four of his past five starts, allowed six runs and five hits in 3 1-3 innings. He walked two and struck out two.
Romero was scratched from his last start Thursday at Tampa Bay with soreness in his left side, and pushed back two days to face the Tigers.
Romero breezed through the first two innings but struggled in the third, giving up three runs. Scott Sizemore drew a bases-loaded walk, Brandon Inge scored on a wild pitch and Magglio Ordonez added an RBI grounder.
Detroit used the long ball to double its advantage in the fourth. Peralta made it 4-0 with a one-out drive to left, his second. Ryan Raburn doubled and Avila chased Romero with a two-run shot to right, his sixth.
Toronto first baseman Adam Lind left in the seventh with tightness in his lower back.
NOTES: Bautista, who has missed the past four games with a stiff neck, took batting practice before the game and remains on track to return to the lineup Sunday. ... The Tigers have at least one extra-base hit in all 34 games this season. Detroit opened the 1986 season with extra-base hits in their first 51 games, the longest streak in team history. ... Former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin attended the game.
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in the...
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- BYU football: D-line returned missionaries...
- Returned Mormon missionary chasing big league...
- BYU basketball: Prior to Gonzaga loss,...
- Brad Rock: Arizona wipeout not a killer for Utes
- How will NCAA selection committee evaluate...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 57
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30