Reclaiming the American Dream eloquently demonstrated that the answer to many of America's social ills can be found in what he called the "independent sector," the rich non-governmental civil society that is unique to America. In Healing America he introduced the paradox that "Government is growing as it fails, and, to a chilling degree, it is growing because it is failing."
I was blessed to associate ever so briefly with Cornuelle on a project of mutual interest. His demeanor and conduct were even more dignified and stately than his elegant writing. My life is significantly richer because of his thought and friendship.
Paul Edwards is editorial page editor of the Deseret News. Email: email@example.com.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- John Hoffmire: Fighting increasing health...
- The most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- Doug Robinson: The era of 'I'm sorry'
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: What's to be...
- In our opinion: Aging without a family