The Utah Jazz claimed a 101-93 win over the Phoenix Suns in Game 4 of their first-round playoff series, moving the Jazz into the second round of the NBA playoffs for the first time since 1988.
The Jazz, who had suffered first-round playoff exits in four of the previous five years, will go up against the Portland Trail Blazers in the second round.
"For this organization," said Karl Malone, "this is as big a win as I've been a part of. Finally, we got the monkey off our backs."
Malone tied his career playoff-high with 38 points and also collected 13 rebounds in the series-clincher. Jeff Malone overcame an 0-for-10 shooting start to finish with 19 points, and Mike Brown added 12 points and eight rebounds off the Jazz bench.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 25