The Utah Jazz claimed a 101-93 win over the Phoenix Suns in Game 4 of their first-round playoff series, moving the Jazz into the second round of the NBA playoffs for the first time since 1988.
The Jazz, who had suffered first-round playoff exits in four of the previous five years, will go up against the Portland Trail Blazers in the second round.
"For this organization," said Karl Malone, "this is as big a win as I've been a part of. Finally, we got the monkey off our backs."
Malone tied his career playoff-high with 38 points and also collected 13 rebounds in the series-clincher. Jeff Malone overcame an 0-for-10 shooting start to finish with 19 points, and Mike Brown added 12 points and eight rebounds off the Jazz bench.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42