The Utah Jazz claimed a 101-93 win over the Phoenix Suns in Game 4 of their first-round playoff series, moving the Jazz into the second round of the NBA playoffs for the first time since 1988.
The Jazz, who had suffered first-round playoff exits in four of the previous five years, will go up against the Portland Trail Blazers in the second round.
"For this organization," said Karl Malone, "this is as big a win as I've been a part of. Finally, we got the monkey off our backs."
Malone tied his career playoff-high with 38 points and also collected 13 rebounds in the series-clincher. Jeff Malone overcame an 0-for-10 shooting start to finish with 19 points, and Mike Brown added 12 points and eight rebounds off the Jazz bench.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34