HARRISON, N.J. — Luke Rodgers scored his third goal in three games and the New York Red Bulls won their third straight game to take the Eastern Conference lead, beating Sporting Kansas City 1-0 on Saturday night in Major League Soccer.
The Red Bulls improved to 4-1-2. Kansas City is winless in five games to drop to 1-4-1.
Rodgers scored in the 22nd minute, streaking into the middle and blasting in a low, right-side cross from Dwayne De Rosario. Rafa Marquez started the play with a pinpoint pass to the creative De Rosario, who had his second assist since coming over from Toronto in an April 1 trade.
CREW 2, WHITECAPS 1: At Columbus, Ohio, Emilio Renteria scored twice in the second half for Columbus. Renteria converted a penalty kick in the 50th minute, then scored off a pass from Dejan Rusmir nine minutes later for his third goal of the season. Omar Salgado, the 17-year-old star selected first overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, scored his first MLS goal for Vancouver in the 69th minute.
Columbus improved to 3-1-3, and Vancouver dropped to 1-4-3.
RAPIDS 1, FIRE 1: At Commerce City, Colo., Andre Akpan scored in the 49th minute for Colorado and the Rapids tied Chicago to end a three-game losing streak. Colorado (3-3-1) also ended a 319-minute scoreless streak dating to Omar Cummings' goal in the 90th minute against D.C. United on April 3.
UNION 1, EARTHQUAKES 0: At Chester, Pa., Sebastien Le Toux scored on a penalty kick in the 76th minute, and Faryd Mondragon had his fourth shutout in short-handed Philadelphia's victory over San Jose. Le Toux scored after San Jose's Jason Hernandez was whistled for a handball inside the goal crease.
SOUNDERS 3, TORONTO FC 0: At Seattle, Brad Evans scored twice in the second half and set up Alvaro Fernandez's first-half goal in Seattle's victory over Toronto FC. Seattle won consecutive games for the first time this season and is 3-0-3 in its last six games and 3-2-3 overall. Toronto (1-3-4) is winless in six games, going 0-2-4 since a 2-0 home win over Portland on March 26. Goalkeeper Kasey Keller had his second straight shutout.
CHIVAS USA 3, REVOLUTION 0: At Carson, Calif., Nick LaBrocca, Marcos Mondaini and Alejandro Moreno scored and Chivas USA won its second straight game to run its unbeaten streak to five, beating New England. LaBrocca and Mondaini scored in the first half and Moreno added a goal in the second. Chivas USA (2-2-3) has beaten the Revolution (2-3-3) in the last four meetings, scoring 11 goals.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 40
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 29
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 20