H.R. 3 - No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act – Sponsored by Rep. Smith (R-NJ) and Rep. Lipinski (D-IL) and 220 others. The bill would enact the policy of the Hyde amendment on abortion funding, and the Hyde/Weldon amendment on conscience rights, into permanent law for all federal departments and all avenues of federal funding.
H.R. 358 - Protect Life Act – Sponsored by Rep. Pitts (R-PA) and Rep. Lipinski (D-IL) and 139 others. The bill would apply longstanding federal policies on abortion funding and conscience rights on abortion to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
H.R. 361 - Abortion Non-Discrimination Act – Sponsored by Rep. Fleming (R-LA) and Rep. Boren (D-OK) and 69 others. The bill would enact the policy of the Hyde/Weldon amendment into permanent law, by amending the section of the U.S. Code that prevents governmental discrimination against OB/GYN residency programs that do not provide abortion training. This version would incorporate improvements, including a private right of action for health care providers to file suit against a discriminating governmental entity. Also introduced in Senate as S. 165 by Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) and three others.
H.R. 1179 - Respect for Rights of Conscience Act – Sponsored by Rep. Fortenberry (R-NE) and Rep. Boren (D-OK) and seven others. The bill would amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to preserve the right of insurance issuers, providers and purchasers to negotiate a plan excluding items that are against moral and religious convictions, in the face of new federal "mandated benefits" provisions.
Source: Richard Doerflinger, associate director of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Secretariat of Pro-Life Activities
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8