"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the sanctity of human life. Therefore, the Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience, and counsels its members not to submit to, perform, encourage, pay for, or arrange for such abortions.
The Church allows for possible exceptions for its members when:
Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or
A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or
A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.
The Church teaches its members that even these rare exceptions do not justify abortion automatically. Abortion is a most serious matter and should be considered only after the persons involved have consulted with their local church leaders and feel through personal prayer that their decision is correct."
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13