SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah cornerback was taken in the National Football League Draft on Friday. His name, however, wasn't Brandon Burton. The highly touted Ute has yet to be drafted after three rounds.
The only in-state collegian to receive a call thus far is Utah State's Curtis Marsh. The 6-foot-1, 197-pound defensive back from Simi Valley, Calif., went in the third round (90th overall) to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Marsh, a former running back who switched positions in 2009, was a second-team All-WAC honoree last season. He played in all 12 games and made two interceptions.
"What you're getting is a big, strong, physical, fast and a very, very intelligent cornerback who doesn't quite have as much experience as other corners in the draft, but we feel with our coaching and his athletic ability will develop into a fine starter," Eagles coach Andy Reid told the Associated Press.
Philadelphia traded down from No. 85 to No. 90 after adding a sixth-round pick in a deal with the Baltimore Ravens.
Marsh's father, Curtis Sr., is a former Utah wide receiver who was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the seventh round (219th overall) in 1995. His pro career consisted of 15 games (10 with Jacksonville, five with Pittsburgh) over three seasons. The elder Marsh returned 15 kickoffs for 323 yards and caught nine passes for 141 yards. He also had one rush for two yards.
The NFL Draft concludes Saturday (10 a.m., ESPN) with the final four rounds. Burton headlines the remaining local prospects expected to be drafted.
Timpview, Snow alum drafted by Bears
Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea, who graduated from Timpview High School and Snow College, was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round (53rd overall).
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 90
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 81
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 56
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 38
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30