NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Tennessee Titans have taken UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers in the second round of the NFL draft.
Ayers was a Butkus Award finalist as a junior for the Bruins last season and immediately gives the Titans some size in their front seven. At 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, he should help Tennessee improve its run defense. He also gives the team flexibility after spending time at defensive end on third down.
Tennessee entered the draft with needs at quarterback, defensive line and linebacker and stuck to the gameplan Friday with the 39th overall pick. Ayers finished his career with 183 tackles, including 29.5 for loss and 14 sacks.
The Titans opened the draft by taking former Washington Huskies quarterback Jake Locker with the No. 8 overall pick Thursday.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 100
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 56
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 34