NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Tennessee Titans have taken UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers in the second round of the NFL draft.
Ayers was a Butkus Award finalist as a junior for the Bruins last season and immediately gives the Titans some size in their front seven. At 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, he should help Tennessee improve its run defense. He also gives the team flexibility after spending time at defensive end on third down.
Tennessee entered the draft with needs at quarterback, defensive line and linebacker and stuck to the gameplan Friday with the 39th overall pick. Ayers finished his career with 183 tackles, including 29.5 for loss and 14 sacks.
The Titans opened the draft by taking former Washington Huskies quarterback Jake Locker with the No. 8 overall pick Thursday.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19