CARSON CITY, Nev. — Nevada Republican U.S. Rep. Dean Heller will replace John Ensign in the U.S. Senate, Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval announced Wednesday.
The appointment was anticipated and sets up a political scramble on how Heller's House seat will be filled. State law says a special election must be held within 180 days of a vacancy.
Ensign has been dogged by an ethics investigation and announced last week he was resigning effective May 3.
Heller last month said he would run for Ensign's seat in 2012, and Sandoval quickly endorsed him.
In a statement, Sandoval said Heller "is an experienced representative who is ready for the responsibilities of this office, and who will work hard, not just for Nevada, but for the entire nation."
"A fiscal conservative who believes in limited government, Dean will fight to keep taxes low and balance the federal budget," Sandoval said. "He understands that the federal government spends too much money and places too many regulatory burdens on small business."
Sandoval said he was working with the secretary of state's office to determine how a special election would be conducted. Nevada has never had to fill a House vacancy, and state laws are vague.
Once a House vacancy occurs, the governor has seven days to set the date for a special election, which must be held within six months.
But there are questions over whether candidates would be chosen by political party central committees, or if it would be open to anyone interested in running.
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL concern
- Officials: California wildfire destroyed,...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 18
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7