If you caught last week's CONCACAF Champions League match between Real Salt Lake and Monterrey, you likely noticed something odd: They were playing on a football field — or a reasonable facsimile.
The game was at a multipurpose stadium in which American football is also played by the local college. Thus, the field bore faint markings of yard stripes, hash marks, end zones, etc.
The irony is that when RSL first came to Utah, everyone complained because they were playing soccer on a football field (Rice-Eccles Stadium). Last week they went all the way to Mexico, only to end up playing on a field that looked strikingly similar.
As Walt Disney pointed out, it's a small world after all.
Or as rocker Frank Zappa said, "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline — it helps if you have some kind of a football team …"
As a result of last week's scuffle between the BYU and New Mexico baseball teams, the gavel has come down.
All totaled, nine player were suspended for three games (four BYU, five New Mexico), while BYU coach Vance Law and another player were issued public reprimands. Also, a New Mexico player was reprimanded for making an obscene gesture.
Sort of reminds Rock On of ward ball, but with better uniforms.
A man recently showed up at a museum fundraiser in Sandy with a 500-year-old book he had been keeping in his attic.
Experts are calling the book the "Nuremberg Chronicle," but Rock On sources say the text is actually believed to be Jerry Sloan's playbook.
Ex-Ute Eric Weddle is suing Athlon Sports and the makers of Alka-Seltzer for unauthorized use of his image.
The antacid people allegedly removed the helmet logo from a college photo of Weddle, then used the picture in its advertisements. Weddle's football uniform number and color remained the same.
Among the claims Weddle is making are that the company denied him compensation, used his image illegally to obtain profit, and gave him a terrific case of indigestion.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- BYU seeks first conference victory when...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 39
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 22
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15