Brian Nicholson, El Observador de Utah
SANDY — Real Salt Lake might be a fairly young team, but locally they have gained a following of many supporters.
For each game at the Rio Tinto stadium, at least six groups of fans gather with loyalty and dedication in the south section of the stadium. Some of them have traveled to different states and to other countries, recently Costa Rica, to show their devotion to the Claret and Cobalt.
"We are not the Hispanic group; we are a supporter club that lives soccer the way that it's supposed to be lived," said Luis Castro, head of La Barra Real.
Castro and other fans started the supporter club in 2009 at the time when RSL was making its run to the the MLS Cup title.
At the end of the season, they traveled with three buses to the MLS Cup final in Seattle.
"We started the group and then the people started to show up; they started to feel the Real shirt and defend it religiously," he said.
Another Latino fan club, La Union Real, also lives with passion every game at Rio Tinto.
Regardless of the cold, the rain or the heat, fans arrived with drums, trumpets and saxophones; they jump and sing throughout the entire game to show how they feel soccer at another level.
"RSL is a humble team; it has no stars like the L.A. Galaxy or Red Bulls, but they have a great team and they play like anyone else," said Carlos Morales of La Union Real.
Putting their differences aside, both groups will come together tonight. They know that now more than ever, they need to stand up for their team.
Castro and Morales confirmed the alliance between the two groups of fans. They are worried for the final score, but no matter what they will live the night with their emotions at the limit.
Families and people of all ages can join and become part of the RSL fan clubs. The only requirement is to have enough energy. For more details, visit www.realsaltlake.com/supporters.
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- On the cusp: Gordon Hayward playing like an...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz smart to avoid coaching...
- High school wrestling: Bear River captures...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 52
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade... 26